Monday, September 10, 2007

I like(d) bugs

I was looking at my old drafted posts that were never published and this one is very relevant to what is going on now:

Ok, so finding twigs and brush and stuff in my hair has become pretty common over the last month with all the wood cutting and forest dwelling going on. So when I was driving home from the property on the weekend, I wasn't surprised at all to feel something in my hair, gently rubbing, almost caressing, my face. If I had REALLY thought about it I would have remembered the spruce beetle that was hiding out in the truck on the ride out. And it was a big-assed spruce (or whatever this is!) beetle that kinda freaked out my 75lb *tough* dogs - Jack and Harris. The only thing they didn't do was squeal, the babies. They were dodging it in the tiny backseat as we sped down the highway. And when I finally let them out, they seemed rather relieved as they hightailed it down the trail far away from the backseat.


It looked like this, only mine was way bigger and had HUGE fangs protruding from it's jaw. Really. It did.

I should have made sure it made its' way out of the truck, but when I headed home it made a reappearance in my hair. Of course, you don't think there's bugs in your hair normally (NOW I do!), so I tried brushing it away. First, then again... then I screeched (in typical Stacie-overreaction), "ACK!!!! A BUUUUGGGG!!!!!!!!" and I grabbed it and flung it across the truck. I flicked my hand with such force it smacked into my chainsaw on the passenger seat and just about broke my hand. Man, it was sore for hours. Freakin' gong show!


So, fast forward to a few months later, to this morning. After feeling a few things crawl on me (other than dogs) throughout the night, I'm noticing that the bug factor is getting more serious. Not only that, the main pole for the tent is totally infested with beetles who gnaw away all night on the tree. There's bark shavings falling down all the time, on me, the dogs, my stuff...

And just when I was starting to think "it would be really nice to be INSIDE a sealed house, this tent thing is getting really buggy..." I woke up to find a big, fat caterpillar wriggling and squiggling about on the pillow next to mine! Although he was the cutest thing I've shared my bed with in a long time, I had to give him the boot...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUK now you tell me after I spent nights in your cabin. I don't think you will see me there for awhile until you can gaurentee a bug free place with flush toilet. I really don't think I am asking too much am I blog readers???? mom

Ellen said...

your poor mom!!! lol

dogsled_stacie said...

Bug free AND a flush toilet!! GEez! You want the world!!!

SusanE said...

Sounds like a blast, when do you move indoors.

dogsled_stacie said...

Mid-Oct or so Susan, cabin starts on Monday!