Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Gabe

Well, it's with much sadness that I pass on the news that Gabe passed away on Saturday night.

After a hard-fought battle with the mysterious illness almost 1 month ago, the poor guy just couldn't fight it anymore. His seizures had gotten worse, much worse - almost to the point where he was in one constant seizure on the last day. Luckily, he went very peacefully at home, and I was able to be there with him right up until the end. I think he was still trying to hang on, but once I told him it was ok to go and that he didn't need to keep fighting it, and reminded him of all his buddies (his dad, brothers, Kate - even though she bossed him around) that he'd be seeing soon, he was gone within 10 minutes. It blows my mind that he passed on that quickly after I told him that, and I swear he knew exactly what I was saying to him. It was like he was waiting for the ok.

Ripper and Gabe - a few falls ago:

Gabe was the first sled dog that I really had a attachment to. He was always a big sweetheart. I got him when he was 5, and for a while it was just him, Kuna and the three monsters. Poor him... haha. He was a super leader. When he wanted to be! He was also the team cheerleader who CONSTANTLY barked whenever we stopped for 2 seconds. Heck, he even skijored this past winter! Him and Kate, for the very brief skijor down my road. And the funniest part was Gabe's reaction to me putting the harness on him. He was acting like I had made a mistake and put it on the wrong dog! And it took him a while to remember how to run in harness (not run and sniff the side of the road, or pee everywhere...), and it was good to see him have one last run for that short time.


This is one of my favourite pics of him - shows off his happy personality. So cute too. It only took a warm cabin and the run of the yard to make him a happy dog later in life.


Rest in Peace my Gabe-ster.

21 comments:

smrp said...

Oh Stacie...I'm so horribly sorry to hear about Gabe. He was such a wonderful, funny, silly boy. I loved his ears the most! I saw the title and wanted to cry even though I already knew. I guess I was hoping that somehow it just wasn't true. I can just see him with Kate, finding the Mammoth wherever it is that we all end up, and being hilarious goofball punks trying to tell the Mammoth what's what. I'm glad he went at home with you and that he listened when you told him it was time. They are amazing creatures...

Sending you a huge hug,
Sue

Ellen said...

thinking of you.....
e

Wandering Spirit Kennels said...

Ah, damn Stacie. I'm so sorry. You wrote a beautiful tribute to a wonderful friend. Godspeed, Gabe.

Meg said...

Stacie, I am so sorry to hear about Gabe. I know I've never met him, but I've been reading your blog since February and have come to feel like I know all of your pack from reading your adventures and seeing all the photos. He looks so much like a photo negative of my skinny black husky mix rescue, Mack, complete with those same funny, expressive ears, that he's always been one of my favorites.

I am so sorry you had to lose him, but I am so glad you were able to be there with him and that he listened to you and was able to let go when he was ready. I've been there before with my previous Flat-Coat mix and I know how important it was to him to have me there and I know how hard that must've been for you. I'm keeping you and your pack in my thoughts tonight and sending extra big hugs to you guys.

Anonymous said...

Stacie,

I read your blog regularly and I'm so sorry to hear of Gabe's passing. It's been quite a few years since I've had to deal with the death of a beloved animal, but I know it's painful. I'm glad you have the rest of the "maniacs" there for hugs and nuzzles.

Thanks for sharing your remarkable life with us!

Sue in AZ

SusanE said...

Stacie:
So sorry to hear about Gabe. You must feel such a sense of loss. My thoughts are with you.

Hilary said...

Its always hard when you loose a loved one. I am sorry for your loss.
Hilary

Fawn said...

Waaaah! I should so not have read this at the beginning of my work day. :*( Sorry to hear the sad news, Stacie.

Kristi said...

Stacie, I'm so sorry to hear about Gabe. Take care.

Cyclin Crowes Fan said...

I am very sorry to hear about Gabe. I only know you and your dogs through this blog and I have been reading since March. I feel like I know every single dog and their personality. Thank you for sharing you and your life with the "maniacs".

Tammi Rego said...

Stacie, just remember the good times and the fact that he got to have a GREAT life with you and the other furkids. It's always hard to lose these guys...but he sure did look like a happy dog in those pictures. You did right by him.

Anonymous said...

Hey Stacy,

So sorry to hear about Gabe - he was a cutie for sure. During those times when you miss him most remember that his presence lies within your heart.

Tamra

Anonymous said...

stacie, been reading the blog for some time and its been entertaining and informative. its always sad to lose a member of the family. its like a piece of ourselves. you know it takes time to heal and remember all the good times. ken

lindsey starr said...

stacie- so sorry to hear about Gabe- he was a true treasure and will be missed. I always enjoy your writing, and this tribute to him was in keeping with your wonderful, easy, carefree style.
enjoy the memories of Gabe.....
~Lindsey

Evan said...

Aww, crap, Stacie. My condolences. You and Gabe are both very fortunate for having known each other.

This is the part of having dogs that I hate the most...

jenn said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Stacie.

I remember nearly having a heartattack when that crazy guy flew out of the run door when I was dog sitting. He did three blazing laps around the cabin and miraculously leaped back in for some supper.

His life was filled with unconditional love and pure slobbery joy. What more could we ever hope for? Gabe, may your next journey be as full and as snowy.

'till we meet at the next checkoint. Lots of love, Jenn.

L-girl said...

Stacie, I'm so very sorry. (And sorry I'm so late with my condolences.)

Thanks for being such a great mom to Gabe and giving him such a great life.

Gabriele C. said...

I'm so sorry.

May he continue to live in your memories, and may those be a comfort.

Cardimom said...

I'm so sorry. For all that the four leggers fill our hearts, sometimes they rip them out too. It was very brave of you to tell him it was ok to let go, I know how hard that is. Thank you for sharing your life with all of us, the good and the bad and the silly.

Sarah said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend and dear companion. Our dogs are like our family, and their special place in our hearts will always be there for them. I know he was loved and he was happy. He is probably looking down at you now with his friends gone before him wishing you peace and happiness. I wish you the same in this difficult time.

funhog and fundogs said...

that's a big bummer...he led the best life possible! Damn they never live long enough.